Rockland County Liquor License Lawyer for Craft Manufacturers

Hudson Valley craft manufacturer liquor license attorney

Attorney Assists Craft Breweries and Distilleries With Licensing Issues in Orangetown, and Hudson Valley Area

Alcohol-related businesses must meet a variety of liquor licensing requirements in order to operate in the state of New York. Depending on the type and class of license they receive, manufacturers of beer, wine, cider, or distilled spirits can produce and sell a certain amount of alcoholic beverages each year. For smaller-sized manufacturers, craft brewery or distillery licenses may allow them to sell their products in certain ways that are not allowed by larger manufacturers. When applying for this type of license, you will want to work with an attorney who is experienced in completing the liquor license application process.

The Law Offices of Robert S. Lewis, P.C. works with businesses of all types and sizes to address issues related to liquor licenses. Attorney Robert Lewis has over 35 years of experience, and he can provide the legal help you need when applying for a license, responding to alleged violations, or addressing other legal issues related to your business.

Options for Craft Manufacturers

A liquor manufacturer license typically allows a business to produce alcoholic beverages and sell them to retailers or distributors. However, smaller manufacturers who produce amounts of beverages that fall below annual thresholds are allowed to sell their products directly to consumers in some cases, and they may also participate in certain types of marketing activities. These include:

  • Tastings – Micro-breweries, wineries, and cider producers can conduct tastings of their products. These tastings can be done at the premises where the beverages are manufactured, and if a manufacturer obtains a Marketing Permit, tastings can be held at fairs, farmers’ markets, street festivals, charitable events, or retail establishments such as liquor stores.
  • Sales to consumers – Micro-breweries and wineries can sell their own beer or wine as well as other New York State labeled beers or wines by the bottle or by the glass. Cider producers can sell their own cider and New York State labeled cider by the bottle.
  • Sales with food – When tastings are offered or beverages are sold by the glass, food must also be available for patrons. However, unlike other types of bars or restaurants, a full menu is not required. Instead, food can take the form of snacks, and it can be offered free of charge. If a craft manufacturer operates an establishment such as a brewpub, it can obtain an on-premises liquor license to sell beverages manufactured by others. In these cases, an establishment will only need to provide “tavern food” rather than offering a full kitchen and menu.
  • Farm manufacturers – These manufacturers must produce beverages using a certain percentage of ingredients grown in the state of New York. Wineries, distilleries, breweries, cider producers, and mead producers with farm manufacturer licenses can conduct on-site tastings, and they may sell beverages by the bottle or by the glass. Farm manufacturers may also obtain a permit to operate an off-site tasting room, and these facilities may also serve as bars or restaurants if the proper licenses are obtained.

Contact a Hudson Valley Liquor License Application Attorney

Operating a craft liquor manufacturer can be incredibly satisfying and lucrative, but you will want to be sure you have met all of your licensing requirements. At the Law Offices of Robert S. Lewis, P.C., we will work with you to gather and prepare the necessary documentation and complete the license application process successfully. We will answer your questions and address your concerns, and we will help you address any obstacles that may arise as you work to build a successful craft brewery or distillery. To schedule a free consultation, contact us today at 845-358-7100. Se Habla Español.