Rockland County Liquor Licensing Lawyer for Restaurants, Bars, and Festivals

Orangetown liquor retailer license attorney

Attorney for On-Premises Liquor License Applications in Nyack, Orangetown, and Hudson Valley, NY

Operating a business that sells alcoholic beverages can be a great way to make money, but owners of bars and restaurants will need to complete a variety of steps in order to obtain the necessary liquor license. Liquor retailers or manufacturers will also need to understand the licensing requirements they will need to meet if they wish to sell alcohol at a festival or other type of special event. As you prepare to open your business, it is important to work with an experienced attorney who can ensure that the proper steps are followed during the license application process.

The Law Offices of Robert S. Lewis, P.C. provides legal help with liquor licensing issues to businesses of all types and sizes, including assisting with license and permit applications and handling violations and appeals. Attorney Robert Lewis has more than 35 years of experience, and with his understanding of the legal issues surrounding liquor licenses, he can ensure that you meet all of your requirements in a timely fashion, ensuring that your business can be successful.

Liquor License Applications for Restaurants and Bars

An establishment that wishes to serve alcoholic beverages to customers must receive an on-premises retail liquor license. In some cases, a license will also allow a business to sell unopened beer to customers for consumption off-premises. These licenses also require an establishment to provide food for customers, although the level of food service required will depend on the type of business. For example, restaurants must have a full kitchen and menu, while taverns will only need to meet minimum food preparation requirements.

Restaurant and bar owners must be over the age of 21, and they are restricted from owning an interest in a liquor manufacturer or distributor. Applicants will also need to be aware of the following laws that affect where a business can be located:

  • 200 Foot Law – Retail liquor establishments cannot be located within 200 feet of a school or church.
  • 500 Foot Law – An on-premises license will typically not be approved in a location where there are three or more other establishments currently operating with on-premises licenses within a 500-foot radius. This law only applies in cities or towns with a population of 20,000 or higher. In some cases, the New York State Liquor Authority may grant an exception to this law if the applicant can provide evidence to the Authority and the municipality demonstrating that granting the license would be in the public interest.

Since the process of applying for an on-premises liquor license can be lengthy, an establishment may be able to obtain a Temporary Operating Permit that will allow it to operate while the license application is pending. These permits are available for applicants who are buying a business from a current license holder or for applicants for new business licenses outside New York City. A Temporary Operating Permit will remain in effect for 90 days, and it may be renewed for an additional 30 days, if necessary.

Special Event Permits

There are a variety of events in which a bar, restaurant, or other liquor retailer or producer may wish to sell or serve alcoholic beverages outside of its regular premises. These may include local or regional festivals, state or county fairs, or other types of indoor or outdoor gatherings. In these cases, a permit must be obtained at least 15 days before the event takes place. A One-Day Beer and Wine Permit will allow for the sale of beer, wine, and/or cider at a gathering, and it will remain in effect for a 24-hour period. A permit must be obtained for each point of sale a business will be operating and for each day of a festival or event.

Restaurants or bars that are affiliated with a craft liquor manufacturer, such as brewpubs, may also obtain a Marketing Permit that will allow them to hold tastings at events where samples of their products may be provided and products may be sold by the bottle. No fee can be charged by a manufacturer to customers attending an event, and samples will be subject to size restrictions. A manufacturer must obtain a Transportation Permit before transporting alcoholic beverages to these events, or they must work with a company that has a valid Transportation Permit.

Contact a New York Liquor License Application Attorney

Before opening a bar or a restaurant where you plan to serve alcohol, you will need to make sure you have met all the requirements to obtain the necessary liquor license. Attorney Robert Lewis can provide you with legal help during the application process, and he can also help you obtain the necessary permits to serve alcohol at off-site events. To learn more about how we can assist with your liquor licensing needs, contact us at 845-358-7100 to set up a free consultation. Se Habla Español.